The Sporgasse hugs the Schlossberg and rises steeply connecting the Hauptplatz with the Karmeliterplatz. The Sporgasse is of early historical significance, as it was the only trunk connecting the old Roman road west of the Mur with Hartberg and Savaria (Szombathely, Hungary) in the east.
At the time of initial fortifications in the 13th century, the Sporgasse likely ended at today’s Stiegenkirche. After an expansion in the 14th century, the Sporgasse ended with the Paulustor. Another extension – to the Karmeliterplatz – came with the demolition of the Paulustor in 1848. The name of the Sporgasse is probably derived from the spore makers who had workshops there.
Listed Buildings and Monuments: Luegghaus, art nouveau facade (Sporgasse 3), House of the Teutonic Knights with late gothic courtyard (Hofgasse 2 and Sporgasse 22), Altes Münzhaus “Old Mint” (Hofgasse 3), former Augustine monastary with Stiegenkirche (Sporgasse 21, 23), Gasthaus Zur Pastete (Sporgasse 28), former feudal stables (Sporgasse 32) and Palais Saurau, significant Renaissance-Palais with baroque enfilade and garden pavillon.