Schlossberg

In 1125 a Romanesque castle was built at the top of the Schlossberg. Graz was to derive its name from “gradec” – in the Slovenian language indicating a “small castle.” The castle was remodelled in the Gothic style, and starting in 1544, the castle was enlarged – to designs by Domenico dell`Aglio – into a Renaissance fortress. During the occupation in 1809, only a few structures the Graz citizenry had paid a ransom for, were not demolished by the Franch army. Thirty years later, Freiherr von Welden, turned the hill in a park and gardens.