The Sackstraße extends from the Hauptplatz to the north along the foot of the Schlossberg. The area of the Sporgasse to the extension of Schlossbergplatz is the oldest known settlement area in Graz, at the heart of which were medieval townsteads reaching to the rocky slope. Due to the continuous expansion of the city, the gates were moved outwards. One Sacktor, first mentioned in 1372, was at the end of the first “Sack” (between the houses Sackstraße 17 and 22).
The Schlossbergplatz was no mans land in front of the oldest city walls, and was later used as a public space. During WWI the Felsensteig leading up to the Schlossberg was built and 2003 a number of existing tunnels and shafts into the Schlossberg were reopened.
By the middle of the 14th century the city had grown to warrant the moving of the Sacktor (between Sackstraße 27 and 36) and grew further into the 17th century for a third Sacktor. The only remnant of the third Sacktor today is part of a gable bearing the inscription “FERDINANDVS ROM IMP.”
The Schloßbergbahn – a funicular, whose lower station had replaced two gabled houses – was built at the end of the 19th century.