When a defensible southern city wall was no longer required, in 1832, the glacis was turned into in a city park. The fortification between Dietrichstein Bastion and Landschafts-Bastion was demolished and a road was built to cross the moat. Another four years later, construction of the Franzens Thor and a line of four-storey buildings in late classic and early historic style was commenced. Building of a spacious ring road system, where once moat and glacis ruled, brought relief to the narrow streets of the Altstadt. Today, in the area of the Jakominiplatz the Altstadt merges with the suburbs.
Listed Buildings and Monuments are the houses built along the Opernring, the adjacent green belt cum rose garden and the area of the Radetzkystraße.