The row of houses on the east side of the Hauptplatz merges seamlessly into those of the Herrengasse. The medieval townsteads – laterally reaching as far as the Prokopigasse – continue in this fashion to the Stempfergasse. Notable are, the Altstadtpassage at Herrengasse 7 providing access to the Mehlplatz, and the former Teuffenbach’sche Town House (today’s Generalihof 9) with its Renaissance arcaded courtyard. The lower Herrngasse – from Stempfergasse to Hans-Sachs-Gasse – features ornate late historicist houses with richly decorated facades and bays, and a late Gothic parish church with a distinctively baroque tower.
The western side of the Herrngasse is made up of more Listed Buildings and Monuments: The historicist Rathaus block with its enclave of town houses, the Landhaus complex with a arcaded courtyards – among the most significant buildings of the early Renaissance in Austria – and the Zeughaus.
Originally the Herrengasse began at the Landhausgasse and ended at the Jungferngasse, then the Jewish Ghetto (in existance up until 1439) started; later the Herrengasse was extended to the southern city walls and – from the Eisernes Tor to the Landhaus – was built up with representative Gründerzeit residential and commercial buildings.
To the east Herrengasse intersects with the Stempfergasse and Hans-Sachs-Gasse, to the west with the Jungferngasse, Fischer von Erlach-Gasse and Stubenberggasse. The space at the Eisernes Tor was created by the demolition of the Renaissance gate (1860), and is now opens toward the Jakomini district.