In 1550 the City Council moved to a renaissance building, in 1803 that building was replaced by larger baroque-classicist style building. The present Rathaus – Town Hall, completed in 1893, now in old-german style, was designed by the viennese architects Wielemans and Reuter. Many houses had to give way for the construction, three narrow town houses remain, along the Herrengasse, and recognizable because of a differing facade and roofline.
In the 20th century, the main facade was simplified. Sculptures, representing the trades, artisans, science and commerce, were returned to their original locations above the entrance. Within – the seat of the city council – is a two-storey meeting hall with a beautiful wood paneled ceiling, a gallery, elaborate wall panelings and a wedding hall.
Address:Hauptplatz 1, 8010 Graz