Teutonic Order House
About half way down the Sporgasse, at Hofgasse 2, is the chapter house of the Teutonic Order of Knights – formed to aid Christians on their pilgrimages to the Holy Land and to establish hospitals. Originally there were two buildings, belonging to the mint – the Hofpfennigmeisteramt – where coins were manufactured for currency.
In 1689 Count Seyfried of Saurau bought the buildings, and donated them to the Teutonic Order. The occasion is commemorated by an inscription and a coat of arms on the facade. The two buildings were joined by a new baroque façade, a common courtyard with beautiful late gothic arcades and an open staircase.
Address:Hofgasse 2, 8010 Graz