Parish Church of Graz
This Roman Catholic parochial church, blending into the facades of the town houses in the Herrengasse, was built from 1484 to 1519. Previously this was the site of Emperor Friedrich III’s Corpus Christi chapel. The Dominicans expanded the chapel into a Gothic three-naved church. In 1585 – during the reign of Archduke Charles II – the church was made a parish church.
The highlights of the church include its Baroque façade and the bell tower – built around 1780 by Joseph Stengg – is considered one of the most beautiful …
… towers of Graz. The original Baroque altars were replaced by neo-Gothic altars. Little remains of the previous interior, only the Baroque Johannes Nepomuk Chapel by Josef Hueber and on an oval ground footprint, with a former high altar painting “Assumption” by the Venetian painter Jacopo Tintoretto.
During WW2, the Gothic stained glass windows in the choir were destroyed. The new windows were done by Albert Birkle. The organ dates from 1970.
Address:Herrengasse 23, 8010 Graz
Phone:+43 316 829684