Palais Saurau

This impressive four-wing palais at the head of the Sporgasse was built in 1566 by Pancrazio Windischgrätz. Since 1630 it is owned by the Saurau family, today Goess-Saurau. In the 18th century the palais was remodelled in baroque style (ceremonial rooms). Just before passing through the magnificent portal with its stone coat of arms and wrought iron fanlight (1730), look up and see, just below the eave of the roof, a half mannequin.

This wooden gate guardian is styled in the manner of a quintain mannequin used in jousting practice and is reminder of the Ottoman wars. The renaissance courtyard is paved with small round cut stones from the river Mur, the so-called “Murnockerln” – Mur “dumplings.” The garden of the palais features a beautiful, baroque, coupled gazebo.

Address:Sporgasse 25, 8010 Graz