Graz Opera House
The Opera House was built in 1899 by the Viennese architects Fellner & Helmer in the vein of Fischer von Erlach as a loge and rank theater. It is the second-largest opera house in Austria, following the Vienna State Opera. The detached building is located along the Opernring, across from the Kaiser-Josef-Markt, at the southern tip of the Stadtpark. Features include the monumental grand staircase and the magnificent Rococo and Baroque interior decoration. The Opera seats almost 1,400.
The domed roof was damaged by bombs during WW2, other parts of the building fell victim to the recontruction efforts. In the 1980s, a glass covered cat walk, connected the stage to the newly erected “back stage” depot (architect Günther Wawrik). The resulting court yard is guarded by a 1992 modern steel sculpture “sword of light” – intended as a symbol of openness and tolerance – by Hartmut Skeptiisch, and offers a stark contrast to the neo-baroque facade of the opera house.
Address:Kaiser-Josef-Platz 10, 8010 Graz
Phone:+43 310 8008-0
Opening hours:Theaterkasse: Mo bis Fr from 9.00 to 18.30 Uhr, Sa from 9.00 to 13.00