Open Air Theatre
In 1578 the basement of the guard captain’s house was built into the former moat. The vast basement was intended to hold supplies and prisoners. After its demolition by the occupying French army in 1809, the current open air theatre was built in 1937 [!] with 42 rows of seats on the ground floor and two storey box seating on the left and right.
A roof was deliberately omitted,in 1989 that a sliding canopy, designed by architects Mayr, was added. In 2009, the stage was moved to the opposite end and fitted with an orchestra pit. At the entrance, the former “Lion’s Pit” was uncovered. The capacity of the auditorium was extended to 1,100 seats. During the summer months the theatre is venue for opera performances and concerts.
Address:Kasematten, 8010 Graz
Phone:+43 316 80089016