Museum at the Palais
In 1602 this Palais was built by the Eggenberg family. 1640 it was inherited by the Count of Herberstein and remodelled – at the same time as Schloss Eggenberg – to designs by Josef Hueber. Access to the palais court yard is via the Sackstraße though the rustic gate with baroque pillared jambs. The north and south wings and the “Bauernfeind’sche house” were connected by an ornate grand staircase.
The landings are covered with arched “Platzl” vaults, which are decorated with radiating stucco work by Heinrich Formentini. Upstairs is a large banquet hall with frescos and a mirrored ceiling. Between 1941 and 2011 this was home of the “New Gallery” housed in May 2011. Now the Palais Herberstein houses the cultural history collection of the Joanneum Museum, and ist called “Museum at the Palais” – a selection of the permanent collection is on display, as well as temporary exhibitions.
Address:Sackstraße 16, 8010 Graz
Opening hours:Mi-So: 10-17 Uhr