Mariahilf – a name frequently found in Austria – reminds of the Virgin Mary answering to prayers for victory over the Turks in the naval battle of Lepanto (1571). The Mariahilf church, following the basilica at Mariazell, is Styria’s second most frequented pilgrimage church and is part of the
Friars Minor monastery – Minoritenkloster. Pietro de Pomis, the architect of the Mausoleum and the Schloß Eggenberg, laid the foundations of this church 1607-1611 and was buried there in 1633. The magnificent twin-towered facade was redesigned between 1742 and 1744 by the architect Joseph Hueber.
Address:Mariahilferplatz 3, 8020 Graz
Phone:+43 316 713169