During the Middle Ages and the Early Modern Period the Landhaus used to be the meeting house of the Landstände, the political representatives of the three estates of the realm (clergy, nobility and commoners). Nowadays the Landhaus is the seat of the Styrian State Parliament. The Landhaus was built beginning with the early 16th century. The main building, adjoining the Herrengasse, with the Venetian-inspired three-storey arcaded courtyard, arched windows and copper roof spouts, is the work of Italian architect Domenico dell’Aglio. This building is one of the most important Renaissance buildings in Central Europe. In the courtyard there is a well, covered by a bronze ornamental gazebo-like structure.
The Landhaus courtyard is now a central venue for festivals, concerts, films, and – during Advent – an ice sculpture nativity scene.
Inside the building: The Baroque assembly hall, with a magnificent stucco ceiling by Johann Angelo Formentini. Heating was provided by tiled masonry stoves with ornamental heraldic animals: the Austrian Eagle and the Styrian Panther. The Knight’s Hall with stucco ceiling featuring of zodiacal signs and the four elements. The chapel, built 1630/31, features a black and gold altar in Jesuit Baroque style and an altarpiece of the “Assumption of Mary,” a religious account of the taking up of Mary into heaven.
Address:Herrengasse 16, 8010 Graz
Phone:+43 316 80 750
Opening hours:Mo - Fr von 10:00 - 18:00