The State Armoury
The Landeszeughaus is the largest surviving original armory and houses the largest collection of medieval weapons in the world with more than 32,000 exhibits of historical weaponry and armor. The building was built in 1642/44 by Antonio Solar and served the Styrian nobility as armoury, especially when preparing to defend against the Ottoman Turks (1529 and 1532).
The building is long and narrow with five floors and a facade with two Baroque figures: Mars, the god of war, and Minerva, the goddess of war and the arts, sculpted by Giovanni Mamolo. The armoury contains 3,300 pieces of armour (ornamental armor and a complete horse armor from the early 16th century) and helmets, as well as 8,000 early firearms.
Address:Herrengasse 16/ 8010 Graz
Phone:+43 316 8017 9810
Opening hours:Mo, Mi–So 10-17 Uhr