In 1884 the distiller Gottfried Maurer bought a house at the former “Fliegenplatzl.” Inspired by his travels, he had a carillon – Glockenspiel – installed. In 1905 the Glockenspiel played melodies on 24 bells. In 1929 Maurer bequeathed the chimes to the city of Graz. During WW2 the bells were melted down for Nazi weapons production. In 1956 the bells were replaced.
The Glockenspiel plays three melodies, three times a day, while puppetts of a pair of traditional Styrian dancers move to the tunes and the gold plated rooster crows. The reliefs of the Art Nouveau facades of the carillon house and the adjoining house intend to encourage the inbibing of wine.
Address:Glockenspielplatz 4, 8010 Graz
Opening hours:Playtime: 11.00, 15.00, 18.00 Uhr