The Franciscan Church of the Assumption and the adjoining monastery are one of the oldest monasteries in Graz. It was founded in 1239 by the Friars Minor and was later taken over by the Franciscans.Architectural features of this simple Gothic hall church are the wide nave and the tall, narrow chancel. Along either side of the nave there are chapels. Along the outer wall, at the northern side and at the choir, there are small retail shops (19th and 20th century). During World War II, the choir was badly damaged and reconstructed 1947-1949. During 1954/55 the interior was restored, followed by a 1982-1988 comprehensive renovation.
The belfry, with a square footprint and and an octagonal top, is adorned by an onion helmet. It was originally built as a fortified tower in the 17th century, intended to cover a bridge crossing the moat. The medieval cloister is the core of the building dates to the 13th / 14th century. Glazed round and pointed arch windows, a late Gothic cross vault and frescoes from the 16th century can be seen there. Tuscan pilasters can be recognized on the outside of the first floor. The tranquil Jacobean chapel in the cloister is styled with elements of Gothic, Baroque and the Gothic Revival. The roof houses the oldest bell in Graz – it was cast in 1272.
Address:Franziskanerplatz 14, 8010 Graz
Phone:+43 316 82 71 72