Dom-Mausoleum-Nordfassade

Saint Giles Cathedral

The Saint Giles Cathedral of Graz – Grazer Dom – was build from 1438 to 1462 by order of Emperor Frederick III. What used to be a fortified church, is now a late Gothic church with three naves, arched ceilings, frescoes and a long choir. Later, baroque features such as high altars, pulpits, and choir stalls were added. Reliquary shrines – containing the remains of saints, originally were bridal chests by Paola Gonzaga.

The 1485 Landplagenbild fresco – by Thomas of Villach – on the south-west exterior of the cathedral show Graz suffering from three of the biblical plagues: Turks, plague and locusts. For 200 years the cathedral was a Jesuit church, in 1786 its status was raised to that of a cathedral. Up until 1854 the cathedral and the castle were connected to each other by a three-storey corridor.

Address:Burggasse 3, 8010 Graz

Web:www.domgraz.at

Email:graz-dom@graz-seckau.at