Enter the gardens of the Burg – the former imperial residence – through the gate at the end of the Hofgasse. A short distance down the Archduke Johann Avenue is the famous Café Promenade – an old-fashioned Viennese coffee house. The gardens were built in 1568 – elevated on a former bastion, and present a loveful view down into the city park – the Stadtpark. In 1842 the classicist,
elongated greenhouse, the Orangery, was originally used for hibernating the tropical plants of the garden. As early as the 19th century, from time to time, the Orangery was used to host events and exhibitions. In 2005 the Orangery was restored and is now again used to host festivals, concerts and exhibitions. The Orangery is open from April through October, 7.30 am – 7.00 pm.