Church of the Assumption am Leech
The history of the site of the Church of the Assumption “am Leech” goes back into the pre-Christian era: Urnfield culture (c. 1300 BC to 750 BC) relicts and Hallstatt era (8th to 6th centuries BC) grave mounds, as well as foundations of a Romanesque round church from the 13th century bear witness to this site. Towards the end of the 13th century, by order of the Teutonic Knights, construction of today’s Kirche Maria Himmelfahrt am Leech was begun. The French Gothic church is modelled after Sainte-Chapelle in Paris.
Its early Gothic appearance has remained unchanged to this day and is one of the most important early Gothic buildings in Austria. In 1979, the church was handed over by the Teutonic Knights of the Diocese of Graz-Seckau and 1985 it was elevated to the status of a University Church. Mind the Madonna sculpture above the entrance and the stained glass widows in the choir, dating from the early 14th century.
Address:Burggasse 3, 8010 Graz
Opening hours:10:00 bis 17:00