Outer City Wall
The outer gate – Äußeres Paulustor – is part of a Renaissance defensive bulwark commissioned in 1582 by Archduke Charles II and was completed in 1614 during the reign of Archduke Ferdinand II. The three-storey building has a courtyard with a groin vault on thick blocks of stone pillars, a two-storey gate with low arched, lateral passages.
The former outer defensive wall is recognizable throughout with sloping, tiled walls and stone cornices. Above the lateral passages are marble coats of arms and inscription panels by Philibert Pocabello dated 1604. They show the coat of arms of Archduke Ferdinand II and his wife, Maria Anna of Bavaria.
Address:Paulustorgasse, 8010 Graz